In celebration of IOI International’s 50th Anniversary, the global centres are delivering online Ocean Academies around the World! IOI-SA and SAIMI will be hosting an Ocean Academy in August 2022 for interns exploring maritime and marine careers.
- 20-hour delivered online, 3,5 hours per session, twice a week (over 3 weeks)
- Free-of-charge for participants.
- A certificate of completion will be awarded to those who attend all the sessions and complete a feedback form.
- Ocean knowledge that is locally relevant.
- Overseen by the IOI-SA and implemented by local experts.
- 10 & 11 August 2022 (09:30 – 13:00 SAST)
- 17 & 18 August 2022 (09:30 – 13:00 SAST)
- 24 & 25 August 2022 (09:30 – 13:00 SAST)
- Target Audience: Interns from various institutions that have an interest in the ocean, ocean literacy, and ocean opportunities, including government, non-government organisations, business, labour etc. To apply, please complete this form by the 15th July 2022.
People completing an IOI Academy Course will:
- gain a basic understanding of the ocean: the goods and services it provides, the threats to the ocean, how to live in a more sustainable way with the ocean;
- learn about the importance of ocean governance, sustainable and equitable human use, the principle of the common heritage of humankind, respecting the needs of future generations, all in locally relevant context;
- be empowered to become more active locally as stakeholders to positively influence their communities and beyond;
- be able to identify priority issues, trends and future challenges in ocean issues, locally and globally.